Friday, July 30, 2010

I'm Home

I'm on day 5 of living in my new home in Bulgaria. And although I LOVE my new place, I am feeling a little lonely. I am in a place where there were 6 volunteers for the last 11 weeks, and we were at a site 3 miles away. We were always here. We met up,shopped, drank, and hung out. Now I go to these places and expect to see someone I know sauntering down the street, knowing they will stop for a chat and maybe a beer. But there they are not here. Don't get me wrong. I am happy here. I have a great teaching counterpart and 2 B-25 volunteers here. I also have 2 B-26 friends of mine super close too, but the day to day contact I want with people is hard to get used to.

This transition we've been on has been challenging. Just when we get settled in one place and with one set of expectations, it's over and we have to adjust once again. I know that I can wait it out. In a few weeks I will be active and busy, but today, I have to make a plan to leave my apartment.
On a positive note, I went to Vratsa yesterday to get my identification card. Lots of volunteers said that it was a hassle. They waited in line and were told to come back multiple times. My counterpart, Sveti, and I walked right into the immigration office, filled out the paperwork, and when I went to pay the 63 leva, the woman said that they don't charge volunteers. Super easy and nice. I treated Sveti to some gelato. Her friend drove us in his car, but wouldn't take any money for gas (gas is super expensive here). The good heartedness of people here touches me everyday. My landlords fed me, let me use their internet, and had their son help me buy a router for wireless after he'd been up all night working at the bus station. They took me grocery shopping and got me a new television. I am blessed. I hope that my language will progress quickly so I can convey my gratitude and appreciation for/to them.

Ok, enough emotional ramblings. Here are some update pictures. Mostly of our swearing in ceremony and my new place. If you are my friend of Facebook, you've already seen them. If not, enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. You look so happy. Miss your bubbly energy so much, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures of your new apartment look really great! I have not seen the pictures on Facebook yet but will check them out! I'm glad you have such a nice new place to live. :)

    Anna

    ReplyDelete