Sunday, June 13, 2010

One Month In

Ok. So I've been in Bulgaria for about 1 month and here's what I know:

*I miss home more than I thought I would.
*I wish I could say more to the people I've met here.
* The food is not as bad as I thought it would be.
* Cars, airplane, and siren noise has been replaced with roosters, dogs, and cattle.
* Baba's have very sensitive feelings. They listen to gossip and believe it.
* Bulgarian is VERY hard to learn; especially when you automatically put in French words in for Bulgarian ones when you don't know what the word is.
* The family chicken had babies and I just saw them yesterday.
* Kids are kids everywhere. At Risk is At Risk and I want to take them all home with me.
*I will miss my support here when we have to move to our permanent placement.
*I miss Mac-N-Cheese, Taco Bell and pasta.
*I think my Baba is trying to fatten me up. I say "No more." and she laughs at me and hands me more bread.
* I know that I can pee anywhere in the world and have no problem (inside or out).
* Taxis drive however and wherever they want. The potholes are a big problem and everyone drives around them regardless of what is coming at them. I cover my eyes a lot.
* The term "meat" is open for interpretation.
* Coke does not taste the same here.
*Coffee is awesome!!!


Ok. So enough with the list. Here's the latest info. This week was busy with cooking, teaching and being observed, and family strife.
We had to cook a Bulgarian meal for our language trainer. I don't think he had much confidence in our cooking experience. He "hovered" and kept telling us how to do things, like peel potatoes, stir a pot of food, and how to dress a salad. We told him we'd cooked before, but he was still skeptical. Everything turned out fine. Kate made banitsa ( traditional Bulgarian dessert), Megan a cool cucumber tarator (cold cucumber soup), Nikki made Mousica (like a meat, potato, and veggie  hotdish), and I made basically potato pancakes.  And just to prove my language trainer right, I cut my thumb. DAMN!

My observation went well. They were impressed with my teaching skills and were excited to have me here to teach.
As for the drama, my poor BABA heard some gossip in town that I wanted to leave her house. I came home to a very upset grandma yelling in a language I don't understand. I called my language trainer and made him help me understand. I told her I loved her and didn't want to leave and things are better.

Stress level was high.  But coping skills getting sharper by the day.

1 comment:

  1. Monkey-

    I'm so proud of you. It sounds like you are facing each new challenge head on--I know you have all the "stuff" you need to keep it up. I think about you all the time. The pictures are beautiful-look for an email and letter soon.

    Love, love, love-

    Schmoopy

    ReplyDelete