Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Why Am I Doing This?

I've been asked this question a lot lately. Why? How do I say that it was a decision that was not hard to make. Am I running away? Why can't you be happy in MN? No, I am not running away. Yes, I can be happy in Minnesota. But at the same time, I can't remember a time after the age of 15 that I didn't want to live somewhere else. To help. To experience things that are outside my comfort zone. Maybe at 15 it was running away. By now, it morphed into something else. I want to not just travel but submerge myself in a different culture.
2010 is the year of "NO FEAR". I want to not just talk about doing things, but to ACTUALLY do them. I want to break away from people's preconceived ideas about who I am, challenge myself, and try to become the person that is in me trying to get out.
My dream though might be dashed. I just got an email from the Peace Corps that stated that I answered a question about being charged with a Misdemeanor or Felony wrong. 16 yrs ago I shoplifted a $5 worth of nothing, got caught and had to pay a fine. If I pleaded guilty, the charge would be taken off my record in the next year. I didn't think I had to report it, but I guess I did. So, last night I had to fill out a form and document what happened. Then the PC will make a decision as to whether or not I can still go to Bulgaria. I think that everything should be fine, but I am nervous anyway. Just one more thing to worry about.

Hopefully, the next post will be a packing list or something fun. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I like this! Wow, now I'm reacting like this is Facebook... I am excited to follow you on your blog. We'll be sure to share our fun MN stories with you too :) I'm happy for you and proud of you for taking this adventure. They are going to love you - they're not going to let you leave, ever! Have fun, friend. Miss you already. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete