Monday, March 14, 2011

Feeling Great

It's amazing how a change of the weather and some sunshine can change a person's outlook. I woke up today happy. Truly happy. I was light, like a winter weight was lifted from my shoulders. Do you ever have that feeling like you are bigger than everything around you? That you are all feeling and no thinking? That's how I felt today. I was optimistic and wide eyed. The sunrise was beautiful, the crowing roosters were welcoming and the smell of manure meant Spring.
All day I looked around in wonder. It was almost like the first days in Bulgaria when the baba walking down the street in her mismatched sweater, wool tights, knitted vest and sturdy shoes was a sight to behold. I watched them today hobbling down the dirt road to the store where I'm sure they were going to buy bread, cheese and eggs. I also enjoyed the old дядовци
(grandpas) sitting in a line on the benches outside their houses watching the world pass by, discussing I'm sure the weather, planting, and the potholes that sprung up over the winter.
I spent the afternoon wandering around looking for storks. They should be coming back soon and that means that my red and white bracelets will be taken off and hung on a fruit bearing tree. They are hugely majestic creatures that build humongous nests on the tops of telephone poles around the towns and villages. I am anxious for them to return. It again reminds me of the first days in my small village of 2,000 people. My daily walk to school began with the outline of the pair of storks that lived on the corner telephone pole on my street. We silently greeted each other each morning with a head nod.
So now I am finishing this post sitting on my balcony listening to some great music that matches my feelings. There is hope today. It's a rare feeling here, but today all is possible.

Hope you are all enjoying the coming spring where ever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment